Thursday, June 13, 2013

My Boy is Getting Big!

DSC_0775resize
DSC_0779resize
DSC_0799resize
isaac 2
DSC_0785resize
DSC_0798resize
isaac

I can't believe my boy is going potty now, and he's doing really well!  My husband brought in the potty chair after he turned one, and I thought it would be too early to even start!  But then I thought that we can work on getting him at least comfortable with sitting in the chair so he won't rebel and throw a fit later on down the road.

Isaac peed not too long after, we made a big deal, and it just clicked for him!  After about the tenth time of him peeing in the pot, I knew that he knew what he was doing and it wasn't just a coincidence.  Isaac is now 14 months and I am positive that he knows exactly what he's doing because he goes right away after he sits down.  He has gone #2 a few times, but he's not comfortable enough to do it a lot yet.

Now I'm starting to think that maybe we as parents are not starting early enough with potty training?  I don't know when other parents decide to start but I think it's somewhere around 2 years?  I personally started with my oldest Lucy at about 16 months and she was in underwear at 2 years and 3 months.  I do believe that Isaac's case is quite unusual, but maybe if we started early on, shortly after one, be consistent (very important) and encourage but not shame them, maybe training would be easier.

I know that Isaac could still be in diapers at 3 years (I hope not), but maybe he won't. When did/are you going to start potty training, and if you did, what challenges did you face?  Do you think my theory is crazy?  Please leave a comment down below and let me know,  I would love to hear what other mamas think on this issue.

Follow on Bloglovin

Hey yo, I'm on Instagram!  Come find me at http://instagram.com/anneueber#.


Linking up with Mandy and Mama Memoirs

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, YAY Isaac!
    Marcus is almost 15 months and I'm starting to wonder if we should be at least introducing potty skills? He seems to know (in the tub) when he needs to pee -- he stops everything he's doing, and then stares down as he pees, he KNOWS something is going on down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's great!
    My guy just turned 2; he's been telling us when he poops (he usually likes to yell it out in public places: POOP AGAIN!!!), so I know he's probably close if not completely ready, but with a newborn, I just haven't been able to do more than buy the potty! I'm also NOT looking forward to having to visit every public restroom no matter where we go :) As my husband put it: cleaning poopy diapers, or sometimes having to clean poopy underwear? Lol! I do like your super relaxed approach, though; we'll probably do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took a long time for C to make the connection on when he had to go. He could go on demand at any given time but couldn't figure out that sensation. Then we all got the flu and praised him for puking in the bucket and not on the couch. Bingo. He started going on the potty (1 and 2) from then on. On his own. Dry all night. We still do have accidents like when he is playing outside and doesn't want to listen to his body...or if he steals L's drink in the middle of the night and can't hold it.

    He was 3 1/2 when he got it all figured out. I did not rush him in the process because of his autism. L seems to be in no rush. We sit him on the potty occasionally and he sees his brother go enough but shows no interest. He will be 2 next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's awesome! My Landon is almost 20 months old and I'm pretty sure the only thing he would do with a potty at this point is throw it across the room. I think some kids can handle early potty training and some just can't. It comes down to personality and the patience of the parents. But I wish I could potty train by 2!

    ReplyDelete